Friday, July 23, 2010

22 July Halifax, NS

En route now to Peggy's Cove, a fishing and lobster village of 38 year round souls preserved by the provincial trust. I can't really get past the shock of Tony's death -- I just expected him to recover and was caught totally unprepared. What a contrast with the beautiful scenery that is all around us as we leave Halifax.

Later: We just finished lunch at a place called the Shore Club in Hubbard's Cove; the best lobster I ever had, cooked to perfection and clearly fresh as if just off the boat and into the pot and onto the plate. The Shore Club is 75 years old and was an old dance/nightclub. It still has that early 20th century country feel. I can imagine my parents dining and dancing there back in the 1940s. They were a glamorous couple and both good-looking and great dancers.

On the road to Peggy's Cove I was reminded of Cape Cod, not so much Ptown as Orleans and Wellfleet. But not so commercial or more understatedly commercialized -- there were plenty of gift shops, etc. but no large displays of inflatable water toys. The weather was so unusually beautiful today that people were jamming the small beaches but only children and dogs braved the water passed their knees. It must be very cold or refreshing depending on your point of view.

Nova Scotia seems like a nice place to return to for a quiet summer vacation. Plenty of history, decent food, and 4600 miles of Altantic seacoast with lots of beautiful coves for mooring the sailboat. Ah but I digress.

The shopping sadly for Fran and me was less than spectacular. I did manage to find the "perfect" gift for my difficult son-in-law. So that I have completely the family gift shopping.
Fran seemed disappointed at the limited selection of things in the souvenir category and I was tired and grumpy by the time we boarded the ship. But that's what vacations are about...right?

From Nova Scotia

From Nova Scotia

From Nova Scotia

From Nova Scotia
Photo of a member of the 87th Highlanders Regiment who man the Citadel to prevent invasion by the rebellious colonials and the French and Indians. Nice work if you can get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment