Monday, July 19, 2010

Touch and Go But We're Gone

19 July 2010
Day At Sea
Yesterday felt a bit confusing because I had felt sick since the previous Monday. Crazy stomach bug, headache, fever…the works. Up all night, sleeping all day. Couldn’t even read. Wednesday, I thought I’d have to cancel, but I made it.
We did get away from home by 11:30 AM as planned and the ride to Bayonne was simple. The check-in was smooth and by 1pm we were in our suite, which is quite nice. Our luggage came immediately, and in my usual organized way I had unpacked in 5 minutes. Now it was Fran’s turn and so I had plenty of time to post to Facebook and to Picasa and to say bye to my fans (i.e. my family). We had indeed gotten off. Happy Birthday to me.
The sail away was breathe-taking. The lower harbor never ceases to amaze and because we left from Bayonne we were out in faster than a Manhattan departure. Looking astern, we could see New Jersey, Manhattan and Brooklyn. The Staten Island Ferry came quite close. There were plenty of freighters and container ships, but also private boats and gorgeous large and small sailboats. Amazingly, several jet skis kept up along side us for quite a bit. It was a hot and hazy Sunday in New York and people made the most of its fantastic location on the water at the entry to the Atlantic Ocean.
We passed under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, and then I got a good look at the old parachute jump. I knew we were out to sea. One last fishing boat heading in after a day fishing with seagulls surrounding it hoping for scraps. In the distance some more freighters. The sound of the buoy bells faded away. And then it was: “Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink.”
At last.




No comments:

Post a Comment