Tuesday, July 20, 2010

No Sightseeing. Just Shopping

Okay so I'm not much of a sightseer, and I'm not even much of shopper, but I do love LL Bean. And well, I'm here in Portland. So I was up early and took a few perfunctory photos of the docking and the ferries. A long shot of the ship from the pier and that was about it. Off to Freeport. Anyone who tells you the economy is on the way back is just plain lying. Back in the 1990s Freeport was so busy with shoppers you could barely move on the street. No more. The shoppers are there in smaller numbers, much smaller numbers. The number of commercial vacancies is high. It was kind of sad to see this basically large outlet mall town down on its luck.

That of course didn't stop me from stimulating the economy to the best of my abilities. Some things for Glo. Some things for Fran. Some things for me. Laurie got what she asked for. Dave, is just not a Bean type guy so maybe I'll find something later for him. I don't know that I won't regret not having bought him that wind up flashlight. But no looking back now.

Back at the ship for cookies and canapes. Maybe I'll get a few shots of the sailaway? Probably not. Sadly Portland doesn't have the glamor of New York's harbor or the exoticism of say Istanbul. (Who can forget that Turkish band that played when we arrived there?)

Anyway, these are my pictures today. A sad collection...

No comments:

Post a Comment